Tempur Pedic AlluraBed
The Tempur Pedic AlluraBed is an expensive memory foam pillow-top mattress that can be purchased with a foundation and also with an electronically adjustable base. It comes in an array of sizes and is well-liked by consumers, but still has a few drawbacks that are typical of memory foam mattresses. [REF Tempurpedic Mattress Reviews 2010]
The woven cover on the Tempur Pedic AlluraBed sets it apart from other pillow tops. It is a silk/bamboo blend and trimmed in MicroSuede. It is also hypoallergenic and anti-microbial but it cannot be removed or washed. The pillow top layer (which is quilted into the cover) is composed of 2 inches of high density foam (the density is 7 lbs per cubic foot).
The mattress itself has 1 layer of support foam which is 2.8 inches thick and has a density of 5.3 lbs per cubic foot. It also has 2 base layers of much less dense foam (each base layer is 4.3 inches thick with a density of 2.2 lbs per cubic foot). The mattress uses a “Dual Airflow” system which is purported by Tempur-Pedic to provide cooling circulation and is their top heat reducing system. Consumers often cite increased body temperature when sleeping on memory foam thus the cooling mechanism. Tempur Pedic have also developed a line of pillows and other accessories that complement the AlluraBed.
The Tempur Pedic AlluraBed can be purchased in an array of sizes including
- Twin long
- Dual King (2 pieces)
- California King
- Dual California King (2 pieces)
Prices for the mattress sets (mattress with foundation) range from about 3500USD to about 7300USD. This is not an inexpensive mattress set. You can also get this mattress set with the Ergo Adjustable Base (a remote control base that conforms to many different body positions). Of course this adds to the overall cost of the AlluraBed with the Twin long going for about 5000USD and the Dual king 10,000USD. It should also be noted that the mattress cannot be flipped; it can only be rotated.
In general consumers seem to like the Tempur Pedic AlluraBed. Although it is an expensive mattress/system, the bulk of consumers comments found on the net indicate that folks are happy with their purchase. Those consumers who were not satisfied pointed out several issues:
- sagging and softening after about three years.
- some consumers also found it difficult to get used to sleeping on a firmer mattress after having spent time on a less expensive and softer type of mattress.
- a chemical smell may emanates from the mattress in the first few months.
- sometimes results in higher body temperatures while sleeping (typical foam issue)
- the contouring aspect of the Tempur Pedic AlluraBed may make it harder for overweight, pregnant or elderly people to reposition themselves (another common foam issue)
- it is a heavy mattress and changing the linens can be difficult for someone who may have limited mobility.
The Tempur Pedic AlluraBed comes with a 20 year warranty. The warranty states that they will replace or repair the Tempur-Pedic® mattress if it is defective due to faulty workmanship or materials. Years 1 through 10 are full coverage while years 11 through 20 are prorated coverage.
POST YOUR COMMENTS