16 inch LUCID Memory Foam & Latex Mattress
This is an overview of the 16-inch LUCID memory foam and latex mattress. We wanted to provide some information on this mattress as it is popular, reasonably priced and getting good grades from owners. This is an ultra plush, four layer mattress with a 25 year warranty. It uses memory foam, latex and high density base foam. It is usually purchased online through Amazon or LinenSpa.
Amazon presently has 84 owner ratings for this mattress and these average 4.4 stars out of 5. While this isn’t a perfect grade, it is a respectable one. A review of these comments provides the following mattress likes and dislikes.
- many owners say it is very comfortable
- some owners report easing of aching joints and back
- some owners report improved sleep
- good value for the price
- some folks simply do not find it comfortable
- some say it is too soft, others too firm
- chemical smell when unpacked
- heavy mattress
There are many comments by owners regarding the level of comfort of the mattress. For the most part these comments are positive with folks indicating the mattress is very comfortable and that it provides a great sleep. Some owners even report the alleviation of back aches and joint pains. However there are some comments that the bed is too firm and others indicating it is too soft. There are also reports that the mattress starts out firm but that it “breaks down” over a few months and becomes too soft – these kinds of reports are in the minority.
We should also point out that on the LinenSpa website this mattress is rated as “Ultra Plush”. Other memory foam mattresses on the LinenSpa site are rated “Firm”, “Medium Firm”, Medium”, “Medium Plush”, and “Plush”. So this mattress is the most plush memory foam mattress they currently sell.
This is a large 16 inch mattress but it comes vacuum packed and rolled up – so the box isn’t huge. When the packaging is unsealed the mattress begins to expand. A good tip is to move the unopened vacuum packed mattress package to the room where you want the mattress to reside before opening it. This is because it can be a bit large and unwieldy after it fully expands. Owners report that the King size version of this mattress can weigh upwards of 160 lbs.
It can take several days for the mattress to fully expand to its full width, however some owners report that it simply does not reach its full 16 inches and stops at about 15 inches - although this doesn’t appear to affect the unit's performance. Given the significant depth of this mattress deep sheets may be necessary to fully cover it (owner experience with this tends to vary).
Like most memory foam mattresses, the 16" LUCID gives off a slight chemical smell when unpacked. This usually dissipates in a day or so and most owners do not report having issues with the odor. Some owners suggest letting the mattress fully air out before putting the bedding on it however. This helps the mattress air out quicker and also ensures that the bedding does not have a lingering chemical smell.
You can read more customer reviewsof this mattress on Amazon if you wish.
The mattress consists of the following 4 layers:
- Top 1 inch is quilted bamboo charcoal memory foam. This layer is hypoallergenic* and LinenSpa indicate that bamboo charcoal is good for the skin.
- Second layer is 3 inches of plush memory foam. Owner comments indicate that this is 3lbs density** memory foam which is a little less dense than most memory foam in mattresses today (often 4+ lbs).
- Third layer is 2 inches of natural latex***. This layer provides support and is ventilated to allow for air flow and cooling of the mattress. Memory foam mattresses have a reputation for sleeping hot so many manufacturers today add airflow channels for cooling.
- Fourth layer is 10 inches of high density base foam.
The memory foam used in this LUCID mattress is “open-cell”. To better understand open-cell and closed-cell foams consider the following examples:
- Open-cell foam is like a bath sponge. Air can enter and exit the foam.
- Closed-cell foam is like the sole of a running shoe. There are air bubbles inside the foam but air cannot enter or exit the foam.
The foam used in the mattress is also CertiPUR-US certified. This certification ensures that there is no:
- mercury, lead or heavy metals
- products that deplete ozone
- prohibited phthalates
- CFCs (Chlorofluorocarbons)
- PBDEs (Polybrominated diphenyl ethers)
The LUCID 16 inch is available in several different sizes including:
Twin - 39inches x75inches
Twin XL - 39inches x 80inches
Full - 54inches x 75inches
Queen - 59inches x 80inches
King - 76inches x 80inches
Cal King – 72inches x 84inches
LUCID also manufactures a host of other memory foam mattresses, some of which we have previously looked at. You can read more about them here.
The mattress includes an easily removable (via zipper) cover made with bamboo blend which is dust mite resistant. The mattress and cover carry a 25 year warranty against defects. The LineSpa website indicates that the mattress was designed in the US using imported materials. Presumably this means that it was not made in the USA – but they are not entirely clear about this.
*"Hypoallergenic" is not really a scientific classification but rather more of a marketing term. It simply means that the mattress will cause fewer allergic reactions than a non-hypoallergenic mattress. There is no body for "official" hypoallergenic certification. Hypoallergenic mattresses are made to limit the growth of mold, bacteria and dust mites.
**”Density” simply refers to the weight per cubic foot of the material. So a mattress using 3 lbs density memory foam has memory foam that weighs 3 lbs per cubic foot.
***Natural latex comes from the rubber tree. However it should be pointed out that not all latex is “natural”. Latex is sometimes made from petrochemicals (known as synthetic latex). Latex mattresses are sometimes a combination of both synthetic and natural. Latex is also resistant to mold, mildew and bacteria.
POST YOUR COMMENTS